I’ve been meaning to make a pair of ankle boots for myself. I gave the last three pair to others. Hmpfh. Well, it was really because I bought a pair of Blundstones that always got clammy when I wore them in the cold and wet. I wanted a pair of shoes with a rubber sole so I wouldn’t worry about the wet, and might walk a few trails in something other than very comfortable dress shoes.
These were made from the Otto Bock lasts that I used for Pair Number 15. That toe shape should be familiar. I am a big fan of double stitching, which gives a really fine finish to welted construction. The first set of stitching goes directly into the insole through the welt and upper. Then the next set attaches the midsole to the welt, but the stitches loop through the first set.
The waist on this last is fairly wide. With limited offerings by local suppliers, it was hard to find a unit sole that would fit. I ended up with this Vibram monster tread which I like for this application. The upper is blue nubuk lined with vegetable tanned goat leather.